So it’s Valentine’s Day, you have plans tonight (or maybe you don’t…maybe you hate V-Day, that’s fine too), and you want to look special. You throw on your best dress, you give yourself a dark, smokey eye, but you notice your hair is just not cooperating.
As women, we put a lot of emphasis on our hair. For a lot of us, our hair is our protection–we feel naked without it cascading down our shoulders. That being said, we put our hair through hell. We expose it to extreme temperatures (I’m lookin’ at you, flat iron addicts), we use damaging products full of harsh chemicals; we dye it, we fry it.
All this has the potential to ruin the tresses we’ve worked so hard to grow. If your hair is brittle, dry, damaged–listen up! Follow this routine and by this time next year, I promise you’ll have long, healthy, sexy hair that will make your Valentine putty in your hands.
1. Get Your Vitamins. B-complex vitamins make your hair thicker and shinier, and who doesn’t want that? These vitamins can be found in foods such as whole grains, legumes, avocados, and eggs. Pro-tip: grab a bottle of prenatal vitamins. These babies (pun intended) provide a surge of vits and mins that cause rapid hair and nail growth!
2. Use a Mask Once a Month. As stated above, avocado and eggs are amazing for your hair. Blend 1/2 avocado and 1 egg and apply to damp hair. Wait 30 minutes and rinse (use COOL water, otherwise you’ll end up with scrambled eggs in your hair…not cute).
More hair masks can be found here.
3. Use an Organic Herbal Rinse Bi-Weekly. Our obsessive use of harsh products causes extreme buildup on our scalp and hair follicles every day. Try to squeeze in time for an herbal rinse bi-weekly and your hair will thank you. My favorite rinse right now comes from Splendid Earth Organics (and can be purchased HERE). SEO’s Herbal Hair Rinse uses organic herbs and orange peel to rid your hair of all the yucky buildup from the week. Steep their “tea bag” of herbs in hot water, add vinegar for extra shine-factor, and voila! Date night hair that looks and smells amazing.
4. Use Oil. I’ve written about the benefits of using Moroccan oil on your hair daily. It provides shine, strength, vitamins and minerals necessary for maintaing healthy hair. It’s important to use deep repairing oil, as well, almost like a deep conditioning treatment. Daily oils are great, but weekly (or bi-weekly) use of a wash-out repairing oil is essential–especially in the winter months when hair is especially dry and brittle. Splendid Earth Organics also has an oil that I’m using to compliment the hair rinse (it doesn’t hurt that they can be purchased as a set–how awesome is that?!). After your herbal hair rinse, smooth a couple drops of repairing oil onto hair and wrap in a damp towel. Wash off after 20 minutes.
5. Give the Blowdryer a Rest. I know it’s hard, but step away from the hot tools a few days a week. Natural beauty is all the rage, anyway.
Whatever hair care products you decide use, the most important thing to remember is to buy organic. You don’t need to add any more icky chemicals and ingredients to your gorgeous locks.
Splendid Earth Organics hair and skin care products can be purchased from their Etsy shop HERE (woohoo, support small businesses!).