I’ve been experimenting with pizza crust-alternatives lately (ex. cauliflower crust). Behold my latest experiment: spaghetti squash pizza crust!
This crust is goooood.
WARNING: it doesn’t taste like regular dough, so please don’t make this expecting it to be exactly like Pizza Hut. Make no mistake, you ARE eating spaghetti squash (and you will know it), but if you’re anything like me and you adore squash, you should definitely give this low-carb pizza crust a try.
This crust is crispy, crunchy, and sturdy enough to pile on all your favorite toppings. I’m a huge fan of cauliflower crust–I make it almost once a week–however it can be hard to get the perfect consistency for a crispy, sturdy crust. I found spaghetti squash to be much easier to work with (although you still have to wring out the excess water…annoying but worth it).
You already know how you like your pizza so I won’t tell you how to top this low-carb, crispy crust. What I will do, however, is show you what I did with mine.*
*Hint: it was life altering.
I topped my pie with with some homemade goat cheese mousse, fresh mozzarella slices, basil, baby spinach leaves, and a balsamic reduction. The end result was oozing with gooey, melty cheese, and the balsamic reduction added just a kiss of sweetness to offset the acidity and tartness of the goat cheese mousse.
And it looked pretty darn fancy, if I say so myself. Goat cheese mousse?…that’s fancy.
Do you have any out of the box ideas for pizza crust (or toppings)? Let me know!
Low-Carb Spaghetti Squash Pizza Crust
Recipe adapted from Slender Kitchen.
Yield: 1 pizza
- 3 cups cooked spaghetti squash (about one medium squash)
- 1/3 cup mozzarella
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- 1 egg
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees–keep a baking sheet in the oven to heat up as you’re preparing the dough.
- Squeeze out as much liquid as you possibly can from the spaghetti squash (if you’ve made cauliflower crust, you know the deal–the less moisture the crust has, the crispier it will be).
- Lay out a piece of parchment paper and lightly spray with oil.
- Mix all low-carb pizza crust ingredients in a large bowl–hands work best.
- Place “dough” on parchment paper and form a circular pizza (or square, your call).
- Carefully place parchment paper with dough on hot baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Top with whatever your heart desires and enjoy your low-cal, low-carb pizza!
***If you like this recipe, please click the “follow” button on the right side of this page to receive delicious recipes right to your inbox!***